New Street was laid out during the 18th century and contains the prime Georgian townscape in Leicester. By 1835 it had become the location of Leicester’s legal profession and grade II listed Nr 2 remains so today. It was built on land which was part of the old Greyfriars Monastery.
A short walk from here towards the Cathedral is the King Richard III visitor centre, located right next to the spot where his remains were found under a car park in 2012.
We were commissioned as part of a wider regeneration scheme of the area to de-clutter, restore and re-decorate the frontage of Nr 2 on the corner of New Street and Friar Lane.
Initially, we undertook timber repairs to the entrance canopy, followed by removal of redundant fixtures and re-decoration of the lead clad stone window cills and plinth. We were then asked to re-decorate the canopy and road signs, which required careful stripping back of the many layers of paint.
It is a privilege to have played our small part in the conservation of this historic part of Leicester.
We have completed the re-roofing of the Stable Tower in April 2020 during the Covid19 pandemic. The original lead was stripped, re-cast and re-laid with wood cored rolls. The timber roof structure was repaired and falls reconfigured. We also introduced ventilation to the upper roof sheets and gutter flashings. During the construction, access was gained via a Haki staircase with the scaffold base hoarded and alarmed.
Wonderful feedback from the treasurer of St Marys Church, following completion of the redecoration of the North and South Aisle ceilings with Earthborne claypaint.
© 2020. All rights reserved